You may not even realize you’re stuck in your relationship. That fact might not reveal itself until it’s too late. You’ve been so caught up in trying to enjoy yourself and impress your partner that you’ve failed to notice how emotionally damaging they actually are. They’re feeding off your positivity. They’re eating away at you, bit by bit. Eventually, they’ll consume you whole. Keep reading to learn more about the warnings signs that you’re dating an emotional psychopath.
1. You’ll never win. No matter kind of argument or disagreement you’re in the middle of, your partner will turn the tables. You’ll never win. They’ll never let you. No matter what.
2. They’ll manipulate everything. It doesn’t matter where you’re coming from or even what point you’re trying to convey, they will take the reigns. Always. In order for them to feel as though they’re benefitting from the relationship, they need to control the situation, no matter what that situation may be.
3. They’ll turn on a dime. You may believe the both of you are enjoying yourselves, when in reality you’re only being led to believe that. Your partner can’t handle being content. Once everything seems perfect, or even the slightest bit comfortable, they strike. They want to catch you at your least expectant.
4. They’ll play with your words. No matter what it is you’ve said, they’ll churn and twist your meaning into whatever works best for them. If they want to be mad at you, they’ll take what you said out of context. In fact, it’ll be so far out of context, that you’ll hardly understand how you could have possibly gotten there.
5. You’ll always feel trapped. When they’ve got you, they’ve really got you. They’ll always beat you down emotionally to feel less significant than you truly are. They’ll always make you feel your absolute worst. It keeps them at the head of the game.
6. They’ll break you. Soon enough, once they’ve dug far enough below your skin, you’ll have given up without even realizing it. You’ll have been trapped in their depressing, toxic web, and it’ll feel impossible to escape. Even if you tried, they would somehow turn it against you and make you feel like the villain.
7. You’ll be cut off from your friends and family. When you’re with someone who’s emotionally psychopathic, there is no reasoning with them. They want what they want, and what they want is you. Forget about your friends and family, because they may as well be history with this person around. They’ve got you wrapped around their finger, and you’re not going anywhere..
8. You’re always to blame. It seems like every day you’re on the stand, having to defend yourself for something you never did. But it doesn’t matter to them. You’re guilty. Whatever the situation may be, you are always guilty.
9. They’ll wash away the romance. At some point, you may notice that the romance is gone. There’s no love anymore. You’ve been imprisoned. You’re simply passing the days in the company of a psychopath, and you don’t know if you can ever truly escape.
10. They’ll embarrass you. The way they embarrass you in public might seem humorous to others. They might pick at little things, but then you notice that it never actually ends. They never stop. You’re the butt of all their jokes. You’re treated as though you mean nothing.
11. They’ll remind you about all the times you’ve messed up. They don’t want you congratulating yourself on minor successes, because they don’t mean anything. Whatever you’re doing is pointless in their eyes, and they’re going to remind you of that. So what if you try your best? It’ll never be enough.
12. They’re always back and forth. There’s no consistency with them. They’re like fire and ice, back and forth, all the time. You may never truly know who you’re talking to at any given moment. It’s like they’re two different people at once.
13. They’ll abandon you when you need them most. They don’t care about how you feel. However, they might care when you’re feeling low. That’s when they thrive. That’s when they can mold you into however they want you to be. You’re just useless to them. That’s all.
14. They’ll never level with you. They may as well be dating a robot, because that’s how they see you. You’re lifeless. Your feelings don’t matter to them. They want you when you’re complimenting them, not the other way around. They want you when it makes them feel better.
15. They’ll hold everything against you. If you’ve ever done something in the past that you regret, they’ll hold onto that and use it in their arsenal when it benefits them. They use your weaknesses against you; your mistakes, your negative attributes… anything that works for them, but against you.
Originally appeared on Rebelcircus.com