We all thought we wanted the mysterious, romantic “bad guy.” We thought we wanted the guy who had feelings as deep as the ocean, and knew exactly what to say.
It’s natural to want to be part of that enticing image painted in romance novels and movies with pretty bad actors. However, reality is often not as beautiful as the dream, and that guy isn’t really the best guy.
The excitement of the drama wears away quickly when stress and instability starts to swallow you. We all want the epic love, but the best lovers are also the best friends.
The men you stay with are the ones who have dependable, honest, comical and caring natures. They are the ones who put you first and bring simple laughter to your life rather than more stress.
They are laid back and positive. They don’t try to consume you. They are the goofballs. They are the guys who have the big hearts and who sometimes say the wrong things, but always come through for you.
He’s your best friend, and he’s better than the movies. He’s just a guy, and he’s great at it. He won your heart with the simple actions that make him perfect for you, and he’s great for all of these reasons:
1. When it comes to gift-buying, you’ve probably had to laugh a few times and think of the phrase, “It’s the thought that counts.”
2. Sometimes, you find yourself in complete awe of the ridiculous crap that comes from his mouth.
3. He gets a lot of enjoyment out of the simple things in life.
4. Basically, getting his favorite kind of ice cream or watching his sports team win will make him absolutely elated, and it’s awesome.
5. He rarely has mood swings.
6. He doesn’t say anything to you with the intention to instill hidden meaning. You have learned not to read into things with him because there is honestly no point in doing so.
7. He comes through for you and you know you can depend on him.
8. He never picks a fight or creates problems where they don’t exist.
9. He can make you laugh in literally any situation, even when you didn’t intend to laugh.
10. He doesn’t hold grudges or draw out disagreements. He would much rather say forget it, then get Mexican food and margaritas.
11. He doesn’t always understand your “girl” problems, but the poor guy does try.
12. He’s honest with you. Sometimes, it feels too honest and you hold back urges to smack his insensitive little face. But, you know he never tries to manipulate or deceive you.
13. He doesn’t freak out or create absurd cheating scenarios if you don’t text him back for a while.
14. And, if he doesn’t talk to you for a little while, he’s likely playing FIFA somewhere with his buddies or he randomly fell asleep. The only thing he could possibly be on top of is a Fruit Roll-Up wrapper he left on the couch.
15. He doesn’t mind making a fool of himself if it means getting a smile out of you.
16. He doesn’t try to take you from your friends and family. He wants you to love everyone you love and be happy and never tries to hold you back from relationships with others.
17. He knows what he wants and doesn’t doubt your relationship, even if you sometimes do. He’s either in or out, and you know he will tell you either way.
18. He handles difficult situations with brilliant patience. He calmly takes hardships as they come and evaluates situations for what they are.
19. He grounds you when you need him to.
20. He has gotten progressively better at relating to you. He has learned and paid attention enough to not be totally clueless as to how females operate.
21. He doesn’t have any problem spending time with the people to whom you introduce him. He doesn’t cause conflicts with the people you love. He just goes with it and gets along with everyone.
22. He keeps his word.
23. He doesn’t play games.
24. He never tries to make decisions for you. He respects your ability to make them yourself.
25. He stays out of the drama around him and just does his own thing.
26. You have hounded him at least once or twice for not caring about something as much as you wish he did, only to later realize it really didn’t matter that much anyway.
27. You have some pretty funny stories about some of his attempts at romance.
Still, you know you wouldn’t trade any of those moments for the world because the genuine nature in which they transpired made them so special to you.
28. You can count on your hands how many times he has really raised his voice to you. He doesn’t call you names or degrade you. He doesn’t fly off the handle without warning.
29. You have the best time with him doing the simplest of things. Board games, movie marathons, pillow forts, long walks, jam-session car rides, take-out, dancing, funny videos and living-room wrestling matches are impeccable experiences to the two of you. You don’t need anything but each other to have a blast.
30. He’s your best friend. You know he would always choose you and always have your back. You know he’ll always bring sunshine to the plainest parts of life.
You know he respects your independence and wants what’s best for you. You know he won’t bring you complications or dramatic affairs.
He just brings you hugs that swallow you whole, laughter that makes your stomach hurt and forehead kisses when you feel like the world is tumbling down.
This is why this kind of man is the real hero for whom we’re all looking. He keeps it simple in a world that makes life far too complicated. Happiness is supposed to be simple and, trust me, so is love.