If going home for the holidays is difficult, then going home alone could be a recipe for disaster.
It’s one thing to face the crowded halls of your former abode with someone on your arm, it’s another to do it solo, again, especially if you’re faced with the inevitable “so, why are you still single?” line of questioning that so many relatives feel obliged to ask.
Concern or intrusion? It can be hard to tell the difference between the two sometimes. Either way, here are 11 comebacks to help guide the conversation back to what matters — what’s for dessert?
1. “Because I want a career before I think about compromising for it.”
Who needs a significant other when you have enough egos at work to deal with?
2. “Because I’m too busy swiping right to look for Mr. or Mrs. Right.”
Your older relatives most likely won’t understand the reference and will feel too awkward to ask you to explain any further.
3. “Because I’m not trying to turn out like mom and dad.”
It’s definitely harsh, but it’ll be sure to stop any more questions.
4. “Because I’ve got too much on my mind for mind games.”
This shows that you’re sophisticated and mature — more mature than any of your nosy relatives.
5. “Because I’ve already given my Netflix password out.”
If you can’t share Netflix, you’re not ready to share anything else.
6. “Because I’d rather be alone than feel alone in a relationship.”
This is the best way to point out all of your interrogators’s doomed relationships without specifically pointing them out.
7. “Because I’m focusing on myself before anyone else.”
There’s more to you than just the person standing next to you. Unlike so many who are defined by their relationships, you’re comfortable standing on your own.
8. “Because I have a hard enough time committing to brunch.”
Not everyone is cut out for relationships. Your relatives should not just accept, but praise that you don’t fit into any mold.
9. “Because it’s easier to stay home.”
Finding a relationship involves finding booze on Friday nights. Your parents should be happy to hear you’re not waking up with a hangover in random beds.
10. “Because I’m questioning my sexuality.”
Even if they’re curious, they won’t take this one any further.
11. “Because then you’ll want to know when I’m getting married.”
This is how you beat them at their own game.